Walter Energy, Inc. \\ Citizenship \\ Corporate Giving
Walter Energy, Inc.’s charitable resources are allocated to specific projects and programs that fit within the Company’s five focus areas of interest: housing, children and families, health and education, and arts and culture. While the majority of contributions are initiated by the Company, and involve multi-year commitments, unsolicited proposals are reviewed on an ongoing basis. If an organization chooses to submit an unsolicited proposal, the following guidelines should apply:
- Walter Energy, Inc. will only consider requests submitted by organizations which have a tax exempt classification under Sections 501(c)(3) or 170(c)1 of the United States Internal Revenue Code.
- Priority is assigned to requests involving the volunteer efforts of Company employees.
- Walter Energy, Inc. generally does not make charitable contributions to:
- Individuals, political, labor or religious groups, fraternal organizations or sports groups
- Fundraising events such as raffles, telethons, walk-a-thons or auctions
- Capital campaigns, construction and renovation projects
- Chairs, endowments or scholarships sponsored by academic or nonprofit institutions
- Special events such as conferences, symposia or sporting competitions
- Organizations that advocate, support or practice activities inconsistent with Walter Energy, Inc.’s non-discrimination policies, whether based on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran
Nonprofit organizations wishing to submit unsolicited proposals to Walter Energy, Inc. should make an initial inquiry by submitting a brief letter of inquiry. The letter should include:
- Name, title and contact information of the person representing the requesting organization
- A brief description of the organization’s purpose
- A brief description of the program or project to be funded. Please include milestones, expected outcomes and how the program fits within one of Walter Energy, Inc. five focus areas
- A copy of the organization's W-9, showing its tax-exempt status
Walter Energy, Inc. accepts proposals year-round. Please allow up to four weeks for a response. The Company’s fiscal year is based on a calendar year.
Walter Energy, Inc. does not accept telephone solicitations. Written or E-mailed corporate contribution proposals can be sent to:
Director of Corporate Communications
Walter Energy, Inc.
3000 Riverchase Galleria
Birminghan, Alabama 35244